Apple chips are thinly sliced apples that have been baked until they are crisply seasoned with cinnamon. Healthy homemade apple chips are a remarkably addictive snack. However, this recipe for apple chips uses no sugar and bakes the chips rather than frying them like their store-bought counterparts do. This is healthy snacking at its finest!.
In other words, I’m going to hover in the kitchen, hover over the container, and hover anywhere else I might be able to sneak another tiny handful without anyone noticing before they do.
You can hover all you want because these baked cinnamon apple chips are a nutritious snack.
Here is 1 recipe(s):
Crispy baked apple chips are a healthy snack that are far superior to store-bought ones. They can be made simply in the oven with cinnamon and no sugar.
Serving Size: 1 (of 6), about 1/2 cup
Serving Size 1 (of 6), or about 1/2 cup, contains 65 kcal, 18 g of carbohydrates, 5 g of fiber, and 11 g of sugar.
- 3 large sweet (crisp apples, such as Pink Lady, Honeycrisp, Fuji, or Fuji)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Oven: Position racks in the upper and lower thirds and heat to 200 degrees F. Silpat mat or parchment paper should be used to line two baking sheets.
- Wash the apples. The apples should be cored using an apple corer, a tiny cookie cutter, or the round side of a metal piping tip (you can skip this step if you don’t mind some seeds in the chips). Slice the apples horizontally into 1/8 inch-thick rounds with a mandolin (recommended) or an extremely sharp knife.
- Place the apples on the prepared baking sheets in a single layer. Sprinkle with cinnamon. In the upper and lower thirds of the oven, bake for one hour. Remove the baking sheets and alternate the placement of the pans on the top and bottom racks. Continue baking for an additional 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until an apple chip pulled from the oven is crisp when left out for 2 to 3 minutes at room temperature (to test the apple chips, pull out one apple slice while leaving the others in the oven to bake). If you are satisfied with the level of crispness, turn off the oven and leave the apples in there for an additional hour to crisp up (unless you think they may have overcooked them in which case remove the pan right away and let it cool at room temperature).
Homemade Apple Chips
What apples are best for apple chips?
In order to make apple chips that taste sweet without the use of sugar, the best apples to use are those that are sweet. Varieties like Honeycrisp, Gala, Fuji or Golden Delicious work well. If you prefer tart apple chips instead of sweet ones, consider Granny Smith.
How do you dehydrate apple chips?
Apple slices should be arranged on dehydrator trays in a single layer with space between each slice to allow for airflow. Dehydrate for 6–12 hours at 135°F/57°C to become dry (see note 1).
How do you thinly slice apples for apple chips?
Apple chips are thinly sliced apples that have been baked until they are crisply seasoned with cinnamon.