In order to reduce the amount of sugar while maintaining sweetness, this sugar-free apple pie recipe uses a sugar substitute and lemon-lime diet soda. Try it for yourself!.
Here is 3 recipe(s):
The Ultimate Healthy Apple Pie
With a rich, flaky crust, sweet filling, and a ton of comforting spices, this is unquestionably the best healthy apple pie I’ve ever had. It’s best if eaten within 24 hours (otherwise, the crust starts to turn a bit soft), and it’s perfect for Thanksgiving, the Fourth of July, or any time you’re craving apple pie.
- 1 cup (120g) white whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp (56g) cold butter, cut into cubes
- 2 tsp nonfat milk
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- ¾ tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp ice water
- generously cut into two medium-sized halves, 2 12 cups (305g) of 18″-thick slices of Fuji apple
- generously cut Gala apple halves into 2 12 cups (305g) of 18″-thick slices.
- a heaping 1 12 cups (175g) of half a Granny Smith apple, cut into eighths.
- 3 tbsp (24g) cornstarch
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 tbsp (45mL) water
- 1 tbsp (15mL) pure maple syrup
- Flour and salt should be whipped together in a medium bowl to make the crust. Use a pastry cutter, the back of a fork, or two knives to cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and 1/2 teaspoon of ice water in a different bowl. After sprinkling the liquid mixture over the flour mixture, stir everything together until combined. Once the mixture comes together to form a dough, add ice water 14 teaspoon at a time.
- Place a large sheet of plastic wrap on the counter. Using your hands, form the dough into a 1”-thick circle. Place a second, much larger sheet of plastic wrap on top of the dough in the center of the plastic wrap. Wrap the dough in the extra plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. (If chilled for more than an hour, roll out the dough after it “thaws” on the counter for 5 to 15 minutes, depending on how long it was chilled. ).
- While the dough chills, prepare the filling. Toss the apple slices with the cornstarch, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and cinnamon until the spices are evenly coated on the apples (NOTE: Normally, I wait to slice the apples until now to save time). Once the apples are thoroughly coated, drizzle on the maple syrup and water.
- Place a dark metal baking sheet on the middle rack of a 425°F preheated oven. Cooking spray should be lightly applied to a standard 9-inch pie plate (not deep dish!).
- Roll out the dough, keeping it enclosed by the plastic wrap, until it is 1 to 2 inches wider than the pie plate’s top. Invert the pie dough into the prepared pie plate after removing the top layer of plastic wrap. Gently press the pie dough into place after removing the second piece of plastic wrap. Trim the overhang.
- Transfer the filling to the pie crust and press down firmly but gently to close as much of the space between the apples as you can. Cover the entire pie plate with foil, trying to “bump up” the center so that it is not in contact with the apple slices (I do this with my hands).
- Place the pie plate covered in foil on the oven’s dark metal baking sheet. Bake the pie at 425°F for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350°F without opening the oven door, and bake the food for an additional 40 minutes. Remove the foil with care from the pie plate’s top, and bake at 350° for an additional 15 minutes (for a total of 70 minutes), or until the outer crust is golden. Before slicing and serving the pie, let it cool completely to room temperature.
Lite Apple Pie Recipe
This recipe for light apple pie deviates significantly from the norm. It’s an apple pie with fewer calories and sugar, so you can indulge guilt-free.
Serving Size 1, 48 calories, 9 grams of carbohydrates, 1 milligram of cholesterol, 1 gram of fat, 1 gram of fiber, 3 grams of protein, 1 gram of saturated fat, 33 milligrams of sodium, and 8 grams of sugar.
- 2 apples
- 1 can lemon-lime diet soda
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatine
- 2 envelopes sugar substitute
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1 dash cinnamon
- Slice apples in a baking dish.
- In a medium-sized pan, mix soft drink, gelatin, and one envelope of sugar substitute.
- Bring to a boil and pour the mix over apples. Cinnamon, dry milk, and the remaining sugar substitute should be added on top.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour. Let cool. Before serving, place the gelatin in the refrigerator to allow it to congeal.
Skinny Crustless Apple Pie
This low-calorie crustless apple pie recipe only has 50 calories and 1 Weight Watchers point plus, so it will still satisfy your sweet tooth.
servingSize None, calorie count 74, sugar grams 14, and sodium grams 1. 2 mg, Fat 0. 0 g of trans fat, 1 g of saturated fat, and 17 g of carbohydrates. 8 g, Fiber 2. 6 g, Protein 0. 3 g, Cholesterol 0 mg.
- 4 Gala Apples
- 3 tsp sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- whipped cream or lowfat ice cream for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Core and dice apples into 1/2″ cubes.
- Half-fill 6 ramekins with apple pieces and generously top with cinnamon.
- Apple pieces should be placed in the remaining ramekins, which should also receive a second cinnamon and sugar sprinkle.
- When the apples are soft, place the ramekins on a baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes.
NO OVEN (low calorie) Protein Apple Pie pan recipe. Quick and easy!
What is the secret to making an apple pie?
- Use firm apples — some sweet, and some tart. When choosing apples for your pie, both texture and flavor matter.
- Toss the apples with sugar, then drain. …
- Brush the inside of the crust with egg wash. …
- Don’t dump the apples in.
What apples should not be used for apple pie?
There are a few apples that don’t make the cut. Gala, Fuji, and Red Delicious are the most popular apples that, while delicious for snacking, won’t hold up in the oven and will result in watery, mushy pies, tarts, or cakes.
Do you cook apples before putting them in a pie?
Just keep in mind that precooking the apples is the key to a fantastic apple pie filling. This will ensure perfect consistency and balanced sweetness. Additionally, you won’t allow the crust and filling to separate.
What happens if you don’t put cornstarch in apple pie?
If you omit the thickener, your pie will undoubtedly become soup. The most popular pie thickeners are tapioca, cornstarch, and flour, though each has advantages and disadvantages.