This incredibly easy and delicious vegan sweet potato apple soup is one of my favorite fall soups. In addition to the fact that I know I’m not the only person who isn’t quite ready for pumpkin yet, I love it because it’s simple and incredibly filling. This soup combines the savory goodness of shallots with the naturally sweet sweetness of sweet potatoes and apples to create a naturally creamy soup that is ideal for the upcoming cooler weather.
Here is 4 recipe(s):
Curried Sweet Potato-Apple Soup
Prep: 0 20min0
Total: 0 55min0
Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional Information: 287 calories, 13 grams of fat, 6 grams of saturated fat, 23 milligrams of cholesterol, 235 milligrams of sodium, 40 grams of carbohydrates, and 4 grams of fiber. 5 grams, Protein 5 grams, Sugar 5 grams.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups chunky applesauce
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Peel and dice 2 1/2 sweet potatoes. In a big pot, melt 2 tablespoons of butter on medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic for about five minutes, until they are soft. Add the ginger, nutmeg, 1 1/4 teaspoons curry powder, salt, and pepper to taste, and cook for an additional minute, stirring occasionally, until toasted.
- Over medium-high heat, add the diced sweet potatoes, chicken broth, and 2 cups water to the pot. Cover it and bring to a boil. Stir in the applesauce while lowering the heat to medium-low. Cook the sweet potatoes for around 20 minutes while covered. Puree the soup with a blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper; keep warm.
- Peel and thinly slice the remaining half of the sweet potato in the meantime, then combine with the olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste. Spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet, and bake for 7 to 10 minutes, or until crisp.
- One more tablespoon of butter should be heated in a skillet over medium heat. Remove from the heat, stir in the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of curry powder, and then add the vinegar. Top with the curry butter, cilantro and sweet-potato chips.
Sweet Potato and Apple Soup
Serving Size: 1 serving
Serving Size 1 serving, 208 kcal of energy, 42 g of carbohydrates, 4 g of protein, 4 g of fat, 1 g of saturated fat, 490 mg of sodium, 7 g of fiber, 12 g of sugar, and 4 g of unsaturated fat.
- 5 cups sweet potato (peeled and cubed)
- 1 cup apple (any variety (recommend gala or golden delicious))
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot ((1 large or 2 small) chopped)
- 1/8 tsp fresh nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- pinch kosher salt
- fresh pepper ((optional))
- If necessary, add a little maple syrup to get the right amount of sweetness.
- Heat olive oil in a medium size soup pan.
- Add the shallots and sauté until translucent.
- Add the apples, sweet potatoes, and a generous pinch of salt. Sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Add in just enough broth to cover the vegetables.
- Simmer until sweet potatoes and apples are soft and tender.
- Use an immersion blender carefully to blend the soup until it is smooth, or let it cool and then puree it in a blender. If the soup is too thick for you, add a little more broth, then stir everything together.
- Stir in the spices, adjust seasonings and serve.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Cream of Sweet Potato Apple Soup
This fall-flavored cream soup is the ideal warm-up on a chilly day because it is velvety-smooth and packed with sweet potato and apple flavors.
- 1 medium onion (finely diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 medium carrot (minced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and diced into 1/2-in cubes)
- 1 large baking apple, diced into 1/2-inch cubes after being peeled and cored.
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream (warmed)
- Additional minced parsley and shredded Asiago cheese for garnishing (optional)
- Onion, garlic, and carrot should be sauteed in olive oil in a big pot over medium-high heat until they just start to turn brown. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cover the soup, lower the heat to medium, add the sweet potatoes, and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes and apples are very tender.
- Transfer the soup to a high-speed blender once it is tender; you may need to do this in batches depending on the side of your blender. Puree the soup until it is completely smooth.
- Add thyme, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste before adding the soup back to the pot. Stir warmed cream into the soup after bringing it to a low simmer over medium heat. Keep soup warm until ready to serve.
- Pour hot soup into serving bowls; if desired, top with shredded Asiago cheese and parsley. Enjoy!.
Sweet Potato and Apple Soup
Serving Size: 1 grams
Nutritional Information: Serving Size 1 grams, Unsaturated Fat 0 grams
- 2 grapeseed OR olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored and cubed
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. marjoram
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon oil should be added to a large pot and heated over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook until softened and transparent. Remove onions from pot and set aside.
- Add 1 Tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add sweet potatoes and apples and cover. Cook 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cayenne, black pepper, salt, and chicken broth are added, and the heat is raised to medium-high. When it boils, lower the heat to medium-low, then simmer the sweet potatoes for about 20 minutes.
- Use a blender to puree the in batches, filling it halfway to allow for expansion (or puree with a handheld immersion blender).
- Re-add the soup to the pot and season with a little marjoram and cinnamon.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary.
How to Make Sweet Potato and Apple Soup | Extra Sharp | Real Simple
What flavors go well with sweet potatoes?
- Produce: apples, potatoes, limes, onions, carrots, salt, thyme, walnuts, pineapple, and carrots.
What brings out the flavor of sweet potatoes?
Even though sweet potatoes are delicious when simply seasoned with salt and pepper, adding a little more seasoning really brings out the flavor. Try roasting with a combination of cumin, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper for a warming, savory flavor.
Is it better to boil sweet potatoes or bake sweet potatoes?
Except for deep frying, which can result in the formation of acrylamide, a potential human carcinogen, the best way to prepare sweet potatoes is however will get you to eat the most of them because they are so incredibly healthy.
How do I add flavor to bland potato soup?
Seasonings: These include Italian seasoning, paprika, salt and pepper. When I add a pinch of cayenne pepper to this soup, it becomes amazing, but when I prepare it for children, I usually omit the cayenne. Milk and Broth: Making potato soup with milk and broth as the liquid results in a creamy soup.