Here is 2 recipe(s):
Oven-Roasted Apple Butter
Nutrition Facts: calories 104 calories
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 4 lb. apples, stems removed and quartered
- 2 cups light or dark brown sugar
- 11/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1. In a large stainless steel pot, combine the apples, vinegar, and 2 cups of water. Cover, and bring to a boil. Cook for 45 to 1 hour on medium heat, or until apples are the consistency of applesauce. Separate pulp from skin and seeds by pressing the mixture through a food mill or sieve, then discarding the skin and seeds. Put the pulp (you should have about 5 cups) in a large Dutch oven or oven-safe dish. 2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Stir remaining ingredients into apple pulp. Stirring every 15 minutes, bake for 2 to 2 12 hours, or until apple butter thickens to a spreadable consistency. 3. In the meantime, sterilize the jars and lids by placing the jars in a large pot that has water simmering halfway and the lids in a small pot. Up until use, keep the jars and lids in hot water. 4. One at a time, remove jars from the hot water, fill with jam, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Seal with lids. Put a canning rack or cake rack in the bottom of a large pot, then add the sealed jars back to the pot. If necessary, add more water to cover the jars by an inch. Bring to a boil, and boil 10 minutes. Remove jars from water, and cool.
Homemade Apple Butter
Prep: 0 10min0
Total: 0 3h30min0
Yield: about 2 cups
Nutritional Information: 128 calories, 0 grams of fat, 0 grams of saturated fat, 0 milligrams of cholesterol, 72 milligrams of sodium, 33 grams of carbohydrate, 3 grams of fiber, 0 grams of protein, and 28 grams of sugar.
- 4 pounds assorted apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. In a large ovenproof pot or Dutch oven, combine the apples, apple cider, brown sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt over medium heat. Cook for about 20 minutes with a partially covered pot after bringing to a simmer.
- Stir in the lemon juice, cinnamon, vanilla, and cloves after turning the heat off. Blend the mixture in batches (or with an immersion blender) until it is completely smooth.
- Return the mixture to the pot and cook it for another 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes (the timing will vary depending on the type of apples you use). Once completely cooled, remove from the oven, place in an airtight container, and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Try it on: Waffles, yogurt, oatmeal, grilled cheese, PB, pancakes, and pancakes.
Easy Roasting Pan Apple Butter! | No Peeling! Large Batch Slow Cooker Apple Butter Recipe (Canned)
Why do you put pennies in apple butter?
To scrape the kettle’s bottom and keep the apple butter from burning, copper pennies were traditionally placed in the bottom of an apple butter kettle.
What kind of apples are best for apple butter?
BEST APPLES FOR APPLE BUTTER Softer apple varieties like Fuji, Golden Delicious, McIntosh, or Jonagold typically perform better because they cook down more quickly. Even the crisper varieties of apples, which I combined Granny Smith, Fuji, and Honeycrisp, broke down well to produce a smooth apple butter.
What makes apple butter different from applesauce?
Cooked apples are run through a food mill to make applesauce, which takes only a short time. Apple butter is essentially thicker, silkier, and more strongly flavored apple sauce that has been cooked down even further. Like the difference between tomato sauce and tomato paste, essentially.
How long does homemade apple butter last?
It will remain fresh for up to three months in your refrigerator and up to a year in your freezer.